The Rajya Sabha spends 40 percent of its functional time on deliberating issues of public importance,
32 percent on ensuring accountability of the executive and 28 percent in making laws, The Oversight perform of the Home is ensured by way of questions (time share of 14.19 p.c), Calling Consideration Notices (7.11 p.c), Statements of Ministers on numerous points (6.33 p.c), Personal Members’ Resolutions (three.16 p.c), Half an Hour Discussions (1.25 p.c), the survey has revealed.
|Rajya Sabha Spent 28 Percent Of Functional TimeTo Make Laws|
- This pattern of time use by the Upper House is an outcome of the analysis undertaken by the Rajya Sabha Secretariat for the 41-year period since 1978 for which required data is available.
- The first-of-its-kind analysis also revealed that the Rajya Sabha functioned for 340 hours per year. During 1978-2018 period, the House clocked 77 percent productivity and 23 percent loss of time, the survey said This development evaluation was adopted after Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu sought to know particulars of time spent by the Home on its three features – the legislative, oversight and deliberative.
- The deliberative features of Rajya Sabha embody taking over problems with public significance and issues underneath numerous devices like dialogue on the Movement of Because of the President’s Tackle,
- In an indication of the broad trend, Rajya Sabha spent 27.57 percent of its functional time on making of laws for the country, which includes 24.05 percent of the time spent on consideration and passing of the government bills and 3.52 percent on Private Members’ Bills.
- During the period the survey was undertaken, the House spent 3,429 hours on consideration and passing of Government Bills and 489 hours on Private Members’ Bills.
- The time spent on Government Bills ranged from 10.87 percent of the total time in 2015 to 40.09 percent in 2002. However, this has touched a record high of 45.90 percent during the historic 250th Session of Rajya Sabha in winter last year, when a record 15 Bills were passed with the House spending 49.08 hours out of the total session time of 107.05 hours during this landmark session.
- During 1978-2018, Rajya Sabha held 3,022 sittings and transacted business for a total of 13,946 hours as against the total available time of 18,132 hours averaging 6 working hours per sitting.
- This comes to 76.91 percent productivity of the House while 23.09 percent of the total available time was lost due to disruptions, the Rajya Sabha secretariat claimed after the analysis.
- While all instances of Rajya Sabha working for above 500 hours per year were during 1978-1988 with an evident slide afterwards, the survey says.
- Since 1995, it revealed, there were only 6 instances of the House functioning for more than 300 hours per year during the 23 years.
- The Rajya Sabha Secretariat did this analysis during the first week of resumption of office from April 20.
- Venkaiah Naidu has further desired a comparison of this revealed trend with that of Lok Sabha and other leading parliaments of the world.
- Rajya Sabha functional hours
Rajya Sabha SurveyVenkaiah Naidu